Premier Doug Ford said he’s told his finance minister to return to Canada after news broke that Rod Phillips was on a trip outside the country.
Phillips posted photos on social media in recent weeks that show him at locations in Ontario, but his office said Tuesday the photos had been taken before his departure.
It’s #ChristmasEve. To my constituents in #Ajax & people across Ontario, all the best during this special time of year. Even as COVID-19 changes how we celebrate, we should reflect on what makes Christmas so special to us – including family & the act of giving. #MerryChristmas! pic.twitter.com/AX7hKWA88n
— Rod Phillips (@RodPhillips01) December 24, 2020
The Ford government continues to urge people to refrain from non-essential travel.
“I have let the minister know that his decision to travel is completely unacceptable and that it will not be tolerated again — by him or any member of our cabinet and caucus,” Ford said in a statement Tuesday.
“I have also told the minister I need him back in the country immediately.”
Phillips said in a statement that he left on a trip to St. Barts on Dec. 13 after the end of the legislative session. He said he was arranging to return to Ontario immediately and would begin a 14-day quarantine when he arrives.
“I deeply regret travelling over the holidays. It was a mistake and I apologize,” Phillips said.
Source: National Post Quebec Nordiques